Friday 26 August 2011

Sugar Free Little Ginger Cakes

Well I suppose they're really no added sugar ginger cakes as there's sugar in the fruit but using fruit purees is a method I've heard of (and used) before to cut down on sugar in cooking, it also normally means you can cut down on the fat too as the fruit puree adds a lot of moisture.  


Slight warning, these may look a bit ho-hum but they're slightly addictive when warm.  They might not make it into your little one!

Sugar Free Ginger Cakes - makes approx 20.  Suitable for babies on finger foods, toddlers and hungry Mummies and Daddies!

Ingredients

1 tin of pears in juice (unsweetened) drained reserving the juice
2 tsp vanilla extract
50ml vegetable oil
2tsp ground ginger
1tsp mixed spice
250g SR flour
150g sultanas
1 egg

Method

Puree the pears with 100ml of the juice, oil and vanilla.  Add the egg and mix in all the remaining ingredients.

Put into greased cupcake or mini muffin tins (silicone ones are awesome as they're so easy to get out again.)  Cook in a preheated oven for 15 minutes and they're done!

If you fancy for older kids or adults, these might be nice with some ginger icing piped on top.

You know it's strange considering how many recipes I make with no added sugar that I can rarely get my diabetic father in law to try them.  He tends to screw up his nose at the idea of sugar free baking.  Maybe it's because for years he would be treated to some contraband parkin at my house and I just don't want to cook things at the moment that I would eat in front of my son but not give to him; it's just not fair.


Ah well, maybe the ginger will fulfil his parkin needs!

2 comments:

  1. just to check, are you using dried/ground ginger or fresh chopped root ginger?

    I'm still undecided about my silicon muffin tray - they do pop out nicely, but I have a suspicion that things don't cook as well (because they don't get as hot as an actual tin?), and DH (the washer-upper) always complains that it is difficult to wash up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, ground ginger, I will go back and adjust the recipe.

      They do get as hot just not as quickly but they also maintain their heat once you take them out of the oven so yep it is a bit different but even metal pans can vary.

      Delete

I would love to read your comments but please don't include links in them.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.