Tuesday 28 February 2012

Pork Stew 'Afelia'

This is based on a few recipes but probably the main source of inspiration was a recipe I found on Jamie Oliver's website.

I've adapted this though to be cooked in a slow cooker because I'm lazy and I also like how the slow cooker makes the meat so soft and tender.  I took the tomato out of the recipe, it didn't seem to belong but then I'm sure cooking it in a slow cooker is inauthentic too.

Hmm.  Big bowl of meat!




Afelia (Greek Pork Stew) - serves two adults, one toddler

Ingredients

1tbsp Olive oil
440g Cubed stewing pork or pork shoulder
1 small onion sliced into half rings
2 garlic cloves thinly sliced
2 tsp whole coriander crushed coarsely in a pestle and mortar
100ml red wine

Method

Brown the pork in the oil until well browned.  Remove from the pan and put into the slow cooker.  Fry the onions in the remaining oil slowly until softened and coloured adding in the garlic after a few minutes.  Add to the slow cooker.    Put the coriander seeds into the pan and heat until releasing fragrance.  Add to the slow cooker then deglaze the pan with the wine.  It shouldn't completely cover the meat but add some water if it looks a little dry remembering that very little water is lost from a slow cooker and you can always add more later.  Pour into the slow cooker and cook on high for 2 hours then turn down to low and cook until tender.

I think I might make this with a slightly fattier piece of pork next time.  Very tasty but some not too fatty pork belly pieces would be tastier I think as it was a little dry when reheated.  Still a success and my toddler son liked it too!

This has been featured in Mrs M's recipe blog party on At Home with Mrs M!  Thank you Mrs M!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to read your comments but please don't include links in them.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.