Monday 15 April 2013

Lettuce Wrapped Pork for Adults

Another quick and easy recipe, less than 10 minutes to make.  Great when the grown ups are hungry once your little one is in bed.

This is based upon a kind of Thai version of Yuk Sung.  My brother in law who is an excellent cook used to make this when I came to visit as a student.  Much to my shame I didn't ask for the recipe but this is what I remember it tasting like.




Lettuce Wrapped Pork - serves 2 adults

Ingredients

1 Small onion, thinly sliced in half moons
1 tsp Vegetable oil
350g, 12 oz Pork mince (or you could use chicken or turkey mince)
2 Cloves of garlic
2 tsp Chopped root ginger

Sauce ingredients
1 Hot dried chilli
Juice of 1 lime
2 tbsp Fish Sauce
2 tsp Sugar

To finish
1 tsp Cornflour (cornstarch)
30g Unsalted peanuts
A handful of coriander (cilantro)

To serve
Leaves of iceberg lettuce

Method

Mix the sauce ingredients together and set aside.

Slice the onion, chop the garlic and ginger.

Prep the lettuce.  Carefully separate each leaf, keeping it as whole as possible and rinse.

Heat a wok with the oil on a hob and add the pork, onion, garlic and ginger.  Stir until the pork is cooked.  Add in the sauce, bubble for a bit.  Mix the cornflour with cold water to make a paste and pour onto the pork.  You should find the sauce thickens and sticks to the pieces of pork.

I have to admit, I cheat and use salted peanuts and rinse off the salt (they're cheaper).

Add in the peanuts to the pork, stir in the coriander and serve.  Put a spoonful into a leaf of lettuce, wrap up and eat!


Update Made this again with turkey mince this time.  Super healthy and easily halved to cook for one.  Much cheaper, quicker and healthier than getting a takeaway!

I've linked this lovely old recipe up to the Spice Trail Ginger challenge.

2 comments:

  1. I've had a similar dish in restaurant with chicken and wanted to recreate it at home for ages. I think I've now discovered just the recipe! Thanks so much for sharing with this month's Spice Trail ginger challenge :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I had been trying for ages but found the sauce too runny then it came to me to use some cornflour and boom! The answer! Still can be a little messy to eat though but that's kind of good.

      Delete

I would love to read your comments but please don't include links in them.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.