Monday 24 June 2013

Spanish Chorizo with Haricot Beans for the whole family

This was inspired by a Spanish version of Cassoulet.  It's pretty rich but absolutely delicious as certified by my son loving it and eating all of his portion.

Ok, it's not the healthiest meal in the world but a dish full of haricot beans and garlic has some benefits.  Think small portions perhaps with salad or some fruit afterwards.


Spanish Chorizo with Haricot Beans - Serves 2 adults and 1 toddler with some leftovers

Ingredients

200g, 7oz Haricot Beans
1 onion, finely chopped
5 cloves of garlic
1 tsp olive oil
175g, 6oz Chorizo
4 Chicken thighs, bone in
1 tsp Smoked Paprika
1 bay leaf
Parsley, crusty bread and / or salad to serve

Method

Soak the dried haricot beans overnight in cold water.  Drain.  Put into a saucepan with fresh boiling water, bring to the boil and boil for 15 minutes.

While the beans are boiling, saute the onion in the oil until softened.  Add in the garlic.  When the garlic is softening, add in the chorizo and fry gently until the oils start to run.(  Put this to one side.

Fry the chicken, (dry, skin side down) in a non stick pan until browning.  Once the beans have boiled for 15 minutes, put the chorizo, chicken, beans and add in boiling water to cover the beans and add in a bay leaf.


Simmer for 45 - 1 hour, with the lid off if turning up the heat a bit at the end if it looks a bit too liquid.  When the haricot beans have softened, take out the pieces of chicken and remove the skin and bones returning the meat to the pan.  Stir and serve.



8 comments:

  1. I make something similar for my family Chorizo and Bean Stew with butter/cannellini beans, they love it! I do worry Whether it is 'healthy' but have seen plenty of other children's recipes with chorizo so figure it must be ok. I try and balance it out during the week with super healthy foods!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, he has chorizo, it's just too much cured stuff isn't necessarily a good thing. Lots of fat and nitrates!

      Delete
  2. I would love my family to eat things like this. I really need to persevere more with the food side of things with my kids.

    Lesley
    Scottish Mum Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love my family to eat things like this. I really need to persevere more with the food side of things with my kids.

    Lesley
    Scottish Mum Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think try it. You could always serve with some things you know they will eat and some fruit afterwards. Even if they don't like it, I hope you will!

      Delete
  4. This is quite similar to one of my favourite recipes, so will have to try out your version!

    http://ninegrandstudent.wordpress.com/2012/08/07/recipe-no-3-tomato-free-baked-beans/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, great minds think alike! I used cassoulet as my inspiration.

      Delete
  5. Just popped by to let you know you,ve been featured today over at Carole's Chatter. Cheers

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments but please don't include links in them.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.