Friday 27 September 2013

The BRAT diet for dodgy tummies

When I was little, I thought my Mum made me banana on toast as a treat when I was feeling poorly.  I was wrong.  She was being sneaky but with my best intentions in mind.

The idea is that BRAT (bananas, rice, applesauce and toast) is meant to stop the swirly tummy in it's tracks.

Well it wasn't my son, it was me.  And isn't it always the way that when you feel ill, the first thing you reach for is the food from your childhood?

So not so much a recipe, more a snapshot from my childhood.  My mum used to sprinkle with a little Demerara sugar on top.  I've used a touch of honey but miss out for children under 1.




Banana on toast to make a sore tummy feel better - serves 1

Ingredient

Piece of bread, toasted
One overripe banana
Half a tsp runny honey

Method

Mash the banana onto the toast and drizzle with honey to serve.


So far, I'm feeling a bit better.  Maybe it's been the magic solution, just like Mummy's kisses.  :-)

2 comments:

  1. wow they look yummy :o) and i didn't know that about the tummy. i'll remember this one, thanks x

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments but please don't include links in them.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.